Sunday, January 14, 2007

oh. my. god. i'm such a freak...and i'm totally okay with it.

I might as well just admit that I live for Rosie O'Donnell. I mean seriously LIVE for her. In this world where I wake up most mornings with the impending doom that the world is coming to an end and no matter what I do I can never fix things, Rosie brings me hope. She's just pure yellow. She's the only celebrity that actually GETS it that when you're fortunate enough to have more than other people, you give back. And not in that fucking lame ass Bono way where you save all the AIDS babies in Africa and get a white rubber bracelet that says ONE. But leave it to Bono and every other ignorant ethnocentric asshole that thinks they have the right to go into a 3rd world country while assuming to understand its cultural norms when in essence they just drop their own American values and think these people will magically change their thoughts and behaviors. And that they should. But I digress.
Let me drop some education on you: It's not fucking rocket science to understand that 4% of the American population owns 80% of its wealth and when you're part of that 4% you do something about it. And by do something about it, I don't mean give your spoiled, ignorant child a Sidekick III, a Chanel bag and a Mercedes with a black AmEx to boot. (And then send them to Penn and make me deal with their sense of entitlement when they want some fro-yo....like, oh my god.)

I mean don't get me wrong. I understand that being ostentatiously wealthy is a mindfuck. Living outside of reality. Lacking the understanding that is the greater world. But this whole idea that as adults you are absolved of responsibility?? Yeah, I don't play that game.
Rosie is real. Real for Rosie. She's loud, opinionated, outspoken and unwilling to be repressed by society's idea of what is acceptable or unacceptable. She puts her shit out there and is willing to take ramifications. Even better is that she actually educates herself. She's researched, involved and backs herself up. And if she's wrong she's totally willing to admit it and adjust.
But more than anything she's willing to take her resources and do something significant. She outwardly recognizes that her position of wealth is to be appreciated and she acts accordingly with a humble give-back attitude. Ok, so maybe she's got some rich-guilt...but hey, whatever it takes. She doesn't hesitate to contribute significantly. Which is more than I can say for that bitch Oprah..."I'm going home to sleep on my Pratesi sheets and I'll feel good about it".
To get back to my original point: I live for Rosie O'Donnell. And I am totally okay with admitting that I have spent the last three months in vain writing to her hoping to be put on her blog. And finally here it is....(and for the really awesome effect, check it out on rosie.com)



MELANIE writes:

as a clinical MSW, i’m just trying to fight the good fight. u do in big ways what i can only do in small (not enough?) ways. u give me hope. but u give others understanding of equality and strength.

we r one in the same <-------- rosie's response!!


get into it.

No comments: